A healthier smile that is built to last a lifetime is another main benefit.
A straighter, more beautiful smile is the main reason why many patients turn to orthodontics. A healthier smile that is built to last a lifetime is another main benefit. Whatever your reason for seeking out orthodontic treatment, our job is to provide you with the smile of your dreams.
How Orthodontic Treatment Works
There are different types of orthodontic treatments available today, ranging from appliances made of metal, plastic, or ceramic that can either be fixed to the teeth or removable. But no matter what treatment you use, the method to move your teeth is the same. A gentle but constant force is applied in a controlled direction to slowly move your teeth to the correct positions.
Today’s orthodontic patients can choose from several different treatment options:
- Metal braces are still the most commonly used orthodontic treatment option, but have come a long way. Today’s brackets are sleeker and more comfortable than ever, but remain highly effective and efficient.
- Self-ligating braces utilize brackets and wires just like traditional metal braces, but utilize a sliding door mechanism to hold the archwire in place. This places less friction on the teeth, often meaning a more comfortable experience for the patient.
- Clear braces have brackets that are made of either clear or tooth colored ceramic material, offering a lower profile for your orthodontic treatment.
- Clear aligners offer the most discreet way to straighten your teeth, using a series of clear, removable aligners made of a comfortable plastic that fit directly over your teeth.
Duration of Treatment
Treatment time varies for each patient, and can last anywhere from six months to three years. The amount of time you spend in treatment will depend on your age, treatment option you choose, and the severity of your issue. But you also play an important role in your treatment time. The more diligent you are in following your orthodontists recommendations, the more efficient your treatment will be.
Before treatment begins, your orthodontist will discuss all of the options available to you, and provide an estimate for how long treatment can be expected to take.
Many people believe that orthodontic treatment is solely for cosmetic purposes, but this isn’t the only reason you should visit an orthodontist. Orthodontic treatment focuses on improving oral health and function, as well. Orthodontic treatment can:
- Close gaps or abnormal spacing between teeth
- Straighten crooked teeth
- Improve speech
- Improve chewing ability
- Improve the long-term health of both the teeth and gums
- Prevent abnormal wear that can result in trauma to the teeth
Orthodontic treatment can be provided at any age, and can have a dramatic effect on a patient’s self-esteem. Because smiles are often the first thing we notice about others, treatment can help us greet the world confidently.
Improper bites caused by crooked, crowded or otherwise misaligned teeth can have a negative impact on our oral health, as well. This can lead to cavities, gum disease, and abnormal wear of our enamel. A straighter smile isn’t just a more attractive smile, it’s a healthier one, as well.
Today, orthodontic treatment is more advanced than ever. Using state-of-the-art technology, patients can receive treatment for any malocclusion faster and more comfortably than ever before.
The ideal time to visit an orthodontist for the first time is around the age of 7. However, teeth can be moved at any age, if the supporting bone and gums are healthy enough. We proudly treat patients of all ages, and offer a variety of treatment options for everyone.
Today’s orthodontics are much more discrete, comfortable and efficient than ever before. This means shorter treatment times than in the past, as well as fewer appointments. Whether you’re seeking out orthodontic treatment for your child or yourself, there’s never been a better time to get the smile you deserve.
Orthodontic treatment provides patients with healthy, beautiful, stable smiles that, if properly cared for, can last a lifetime. Whether you opt for traditional metal braces, Invisalign, or self-ligating braces, orthodontic treatment can improve how your smile looks and functions.